Increase the force of myocardial contraction,decrease conduction through SA and AV nodes,Reduce heart rate improve carddiac output.It improves blood supply to vital organs and kidneys,providing a diuretic effect.Used to treat or control congestive heart failure,slow down increased rates such as tachycardiad,atrial
flutter and atrial fibrillation.
Nursing Care for Cardiac Glycosides
- Assess Caridac rate,rhythm.
- Check ECG,assess serum lytes,specially potassium,and blood digitalis level(0.5-2mg/ml)
- Take epical pulse for 1 full minute before administering(range 60-110/min).If pulse rate gets 60 or below during therapy then withhold the drug and notify the doctor.
- Administer PO or I/V,no I/M or S/C injections.
- Check patient's ankle of feet for swelling.
- weight patient weekly for fluid retention.
- Teach patient that cardiac glycocides can be taken with or between meals.
- Do not give together with antacids,antidiarrheals or laxatives.
- If plus rate is 60/minute or less,hold the medication and notify the doctor.
- Watch for sign of hypokalemia
- Diet must be low in sodium and saturated fat content and high in potassium.