Osteomalacia is a condition that affects the bones.Osteomalacia refers to a softening of your bones, often caused by a vitamin D deficiency. In children, this condition is called rickets. Soft bones are more likely to bow and fracture than are harder, healthy bones.
Nursing Management for Osteomalacia Clients
- Focus on careful positioning, ambulation, and prescribed exercises.
- Monitor Pain Scale
- Give Vitamin D supplementation as per order
- Give Analgesics as per doctor order
- Include the patient and his family in all phases of care
- Check the patient’s skin daily for redness, warmth, and new painsites.
- Monitor the patient’s pain level, and assess her response to analgesic’s,
- Explain all treatments, tests, and procedure to the patient
- To teach clients and her family clearly understand the prescribed drug regiman.
- To provide emotional support clients and her family
Bhan A, et al. Osteomalacia as a result of vitamin D deficiency. Endocrinology Metabolism Clinics of North America. 2010;39:321.