An appendectomy is the surgical procedure to remove the vermiform appendix.An appendectomy procedure is normally performed as an emergency procedure, when the patient is suffering from acute appendicitis
Nursing Goal for An appendectomy
- Prevent complications.
- Promote comfort.
- Provide information about surgical procedure/prognosis, treatment needs, and potential complications
Nursing Diagnosis An appendectomy
- Acute pain r/t surigcal incision
- Risk for infection r/t perforation/rupture of appendix, surgical incision, peritonitis
- Activity intolerance r/t pain, surgical procedure
- Anxiety r/t change in health status, hospital environment
- Imbalanced nutrition: less than body requirements r/t anorexia, nausea ,vomiting, decreased peristalsis
Nursing Intervention An appendectomy
- Inspect incision and dressings.
- wound/drains Care per shift
- Check Skin regidy
- Monitor vital signs.
- Give Antibiotics as per order primarily for prophylaxis of wound infection (pre-op and postoperatively)
- Check Pain Level
- Administer analgesics as indicated
- Keep at rest in semi-Fowler’s position
nursing care an appendectomy , Nursing Diagnosis an appendectomy , Nursing Intervention an appendectomy